So here's my solution: PBJ!
I decided I would put together a basket with peanut butter, jelly, bread, etc. If you don't like PBJ, you know someone who does. And if you're allergic to peanut butter or something like that, you could always donate it to charity! With the $10 limit and some rules like not wanting to get only store brands so that it didn't look too cheap and really wanting to get a sandwich keeper that's shaped like a piece of bread, here's what I ended up with:
- $.79, White Bread, Publix brand advantage buy
- $2.89, Red Crayola Sandwich Holder shaped like a piece of bread (score! it was just hanging in the Publix bread aisle!)
- 2 for $3, 16.3 oz Skippy Peanut Butter & 32oz Grape Welch's Jelly, with store coupon at Walgreen's
- $1, Plastic Kid Plates, red, set of 3, Dollar Tree
- $1, Plastic Knife, Fork & Spoon Pack, red, Dollar Tree (I really wanted just one cute knife but the plastic cutlery worked out)
- $1, Plastic Tub, white, Dollar Tree (This isn't the prettiest piece, but it was the only thing I could find at Dollar Tree that was the right size, so it'll do and could be useful)
My total: $10.14 with tax added, and then $2 extra dollars to slap a big bow on the bread & a stick it all in a giant bag to wrap it all up in (both bought at Dollar Tree). So, about $10ish. That works for me! I think it came out looking cute and hopefully, no one will dread getting it!
What do you usually give as a white elephant gift?