Monday, July 12, 2010

My Love Affair With Brown

When I moved from Colorado to Florida in the middle of my 10th grade year, I clung to wearing the color brown to help me blend in. I wasn't comfortable in my own skin and certainly didn't want to be bold or call attention to myself. I have brown hair & brown eyes, so it made sense. Black would make me look despressed or too stark, so I chose brown. Even in my Senior year when I had more confidence and got bold enough to cut my hair short and call more attention, I balanced out my short, spiky, colored hair by wearing a fairly drab color palate based on dark brown & olive green.

As I've gotten older, I've gotten comfortable wearing brown and wear a lot of it. My friends know I obsessively like brown and often get me something brown as a gift or give me a hard time for always wearing the same color. So, as I got ready to have my colors done with style guru Karen C. Hughes of Image Assets, I was kinda nervous. Though I love brown and know it looks good on me, I definitely feel like it's been a bit of a crutch. What if Karen says I shouldn't be wearing brown?!?!

Thank goodness Karen did not say I couldn't wear brown because if that was the case, I'd have to get rid most of my closet. She actually said that it IS one of the colors that looks good on me and that it's completely acceptable for me to wear it. And that I could tell my friends she said that when they give me a hard time! But what Karen showed me through by going through all the colors is that there are other colors that compliment my coloring well also and that I can use brown as my base color like most people do with black and layer colors and build from there.

So, check me out getting my colors done. It's crazy to see how different I look in different colors!

No comments:

Post a Comment