Monday, October 5, 2009

My $1 Shopping Trip: All About the Washingtons

Drawing inspiration from The 99 Cent Chef, who cooks with items that are each less than 99 cents or at least less than 99 cents per pound, I decided to shop a little differently this week. So what the 99 Cent Chef has that I don't is the 99 Cent Only store, which is only in the west and has food and produce. But I have Kroger, so I thought I'd improvise. 

As I shopped, I put every item that was under $1 (or under $1 per lb) in the same part of my shopping cart. It was good motivation not to buy expensive things because I could easily see the money stocking up. I ended up with over 20 under $1 qualifying items (in full disclosure, exactly 21) including black beans, sweet potatoes, apples, bananas, chick peas, green onions, canned tomatoes, yogurt, cucumbers, pasta and chicken breasts. Split chicken breasts keep being .99 per lb, which is handy because I strangely enjoy separating the breasts & tenderloins and freezing them in individual bags so they're ready when I need them. Overall, I'm excited to start putting my $1 items together to make cheap meals. Fun!

In other $1 news, I used over 10 $1 off coupons during my shopping trip! In full disclosure, I literally used exactly 11. :) I saved close to $18 in coupons. Woohoo!  AND the cashier said she liked my pink paisley coupon box. SCORE. 

Speaking of a dollar... Here's a $1 off Arbor Mist wine & sparkling wine coupon.  It's all about the Washingtons!

No comments:

Post a Comment